Born 1974 in Osaka, Japan.
Nakatomi served his apprenticeship under Shoryu Honda until he established his own studio in 2005.
When Nakatomi first met bamboo art, he was an ordinary university student who majored in business marketing. Bamboo art was such an irresistible beauty, he instantly decided to pursue his carrier as a bamboo artist.
Nakatomi not only holds exhibitions at museums and galleries, he also develops bamboo artworks for public space in hotels and commercial complexes.
He currently lives in Taketa city, southern Japan with his wife and a little daughter.
selected projects & exhibitions
- 2016 "Hidetoshi Nakata’s Favorite Japanese KOGEI", Shiodome Museum, Tokyo
- 2014 artwork for The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
- 2013 Revalue Nippon Project & Charity GALA with GUCCI
- 2012-2016 "Modern Twist", tour in USA
- 2010 special exhibtion by BOTTEGA VENETA, Salone Del Mobile, Milan
- 2008 "New Bamboo", JS Gallery, New York
- 2007-2008 "East Weaves West", tour in UK
- 2007 "The Next Generation", The Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
- 2006 "Hin: The Quiet Beauty of Japanese Bamboo Art", Faulconer Gallery
- 2006 "Beyond Basketry: Japanese Bamboo Art", Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- The Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
- The Clark Center for Japanese Art and Culture
- Racine Art Museum
- Hove Museum & Art Gallery